Monday, July 7, 2014

Meet the New VP of Academic Affairs

Dr. Bonnie Suderman --- Academic, Mother, Shot Putter

In first meeting AVC's new Vice President of Academic Affairs, one might make any number of assumptions about her skills and interests, just as we all do when we meet somebody new.


I must confess, putting her down as a former shot putter was not on my list of possibilities.

"Well," she told me, laughing. "That was a long time ago. My father was the coach of the track team in high school, at a small private school district in San Diego. He needed somebody for the shot put. That became me."

Dr. Suderman says that her father probably would have rather have had three sons instead of the three daughters that the family became blessed with. Still, he took them fishing and backpacking in the High Sierra, just the same.

She said, "He really didn't think much of the Antelope Valley.  If we were going up to any of the Eastern Sierra trailheads, he tried to time it so we drove through the AV in the middle of the night. We were from San Diego --- he did not like the heat."

His was an equal-opportunity dislike; to get to the Western Sierra, he tried to pass Bakersfield in the dark as well. She laughs about it now. "He told me, 'Bonnie, whatever you do, don't marry a man from Bakersfield.'"

Yet she did, and Dr. Suderman raised her family there, including spending time as a stay-at-home Mom. "Each family has to make their own choices about parenting. For us, it worked out well. My girls are just terrific."

In time, she went back to work. Here is the summary that Jim Reddish shared in the "Around AVC" campus update.

Antelope Valley College is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Bonnie Suderman as Vice-President, Academic Affairs.

Dr. Suderman has an extensive background in higher education spanning over twenty years. Beginning as a classroom instructor and full-time faculty member at both Bakersfield College and California State University-Bakersfield, in disciplines emphasizing work with adult learners and adult literacy for over twelve years, Dr. Suderman began work as a Dean of Instruction at Bakersfield College in 2006. She has had varying assignments as a Dean at Bakersfield since that time and has developed a deep understanding of the challenges and regulations required in the operation of a California Community College instructional program.

Dr. Suderman received a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities from Biola University, a Master’s degree in Literacy from California State University-Bakersfield, and a Doctoral degree from University of the Pacific.

In our conversation we talked about online teaching, returning veterans, success rates in Developmental Composition, and her season playing basketball.

"One season was definitely enough. That was not quite the right sport for me."

At Biola College she let her sports abilities stay in the closet, as she focused on her studies and graduated in an astounding three years.

One of the things that attracts her to Antelope Valley College is the quality of the staff, as well as the beauty of the grounds. "We have such a beautiful campus here ---- and so much to be proud of. I am very happy to join the AVC Family."

Dr. Suderman's office is in the front-most Administration Building, the one-story building that is nearest to the corner of 30th and K. Her email is bsuderman@avc.edu and her phone extension is (661) 722-6304. If you see her on campus, do stop and introduce yourself --- she is open and approachable, and may be able to give you pointers on your track and field career.

+++++

Photographs not credited to an outside source were taken by the blog curator, Charles Hood, Language Arts. He can be reached at chood@avc.edu. This blog does not represent the views of the Board of Trustees nor the District as a whole. To leave comments, you need to be logged into some kind of blogspot or gmail account, or so it seems. Sorry about that: it's just how the system is set up. Hood also can forward comments through email. 

In the near future the AVC Blog will go through a make-over, with a new look and a new series of contributors. See you soon!


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife was so smooth at hiding her infidelity and I had no proof for months, I saw a recommendation about a Private investigator  and decided to give him a try.. the result was incredible because all my cheating wife’s text messages, whatsapp, facebook and even phone conversations was linked directly to my cellphone. (worldcyberhackers@gmail.com ) Mr James helped me put a round-the-clock monitoring on her and I got concrete evidence and gave it to my lawyer..if your wife is an expert at hiding her cheating adventures contact Mr James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to say thank you thank you thank you to Ancient (Great Matatan powerful Spell ) for everything so far. To everyone who doesn’t believe in spell, I was one of those ones at first. I wasn’t quite sure if I wanted to do this since I’ve tried others so-called spells casters and they did not work and was a waste of my time and money. However, when I read through the testimonials of other people at this website and after I talked Great Matatan powerful Spell who answered all my questions and was very nice about everything, I decided to give it a try. I figured it would be my last try to get my guy back. So my story is that I was at my office when the guy I am in love with told me that he wasn’t in love with me and never will be and that he didn’t want to speak or see me again, especially since he was talking to this other girl. When I talked to Great Matatan , he let me know which spells would be most appropriate for me and I chose the ones that was to get him back to me and stay with me and want to marry me.As soon as he started on the spells, my guy came back into my life! It was a miracle to me and I’m so thankful for that. Things have been going well, and pretty much according to what Great Matatan Spell said would happen. He’s always there when you need him and that’s also after the spell is done. I’m still waiting for the spells to completely manifest, but with all that has happened so far I’m very happy because given only four months ago in March, if you asked me or my friends if I would have anticipated how things were right now…no one would believe it! Great Matatan. contact is email address (  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )  



    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored my ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. i was so happy to met Dr. Aire how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how Dr. Aire help me to bring my husband back.. A big thank to you Dr. Aire because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:
    Email him at: drairehome@gmail.com

    You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2347036740271

    ReplyDelete
  6. my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
      HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
      searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
      Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
      Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
      been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
      listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
      him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
      it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
      my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
      you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
      and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
      problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
      or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

      Delete
  7. I can't stop saying thank you to LORD ZAKUZA for helping me to win my ex lover back after lots of fights and quarrels but now there's so much love, care and happiness in my relationship and I wanna say LORD ZAKUZA is best known for what he does with his spells. WhatsApp him now to get yours back through + 1 740 573 9483.

    Email: lordzakuza7@gmail.com
    Website: lordzakuzaspells.com

    ReplyDelete